Sweet hot sauces are a ton of fun to play with, simply because they are so crazily versatile. For instance, this raspberry scotch bonnet hot sauce offers up quite a punch of flavor, rich, sweet, and fiery. It’s just as good on chicken as it is over cheese. Use it as a dipper with salty tortilla chips (yum to that sweet and salty pairing.) Or drizzle it over chocolate cake or ice cream. This is a hot sauce that just works with a lot of different desserts, meals, meats, and much more.
Scotch bonnet peppers are not for the timid, carrying the same heat level as habaneros (100,000 to 350,000 Scoville heat units.) That’s really spicy, so you could opt for something milder, like a red jalapeño. Though, scotch bonnets have a delicious tropical sweetness that work really well with raspberries. If you can take the heat, it’s a delicious pairing.
Fresh raspberries are called for in the recipe, but frozen raspberries work well too. If it’s the wrong time of year for fresh berries, feel free to go straight to the freezer section. Of course, fresh is best, but you won’t be disappointed with the frozen alternative.
See this recipe being made:
Like this recipe? You’ll love these too:
- Mango Habanero Hot Sauce: Another fiery option, but with a tropical twist.
- Maple Sriracha Sauce: One of our favorites as a chicken dipper.
- Cherry Habanero BBQ Sauce: Cherries and habaneros are a terrific pairing.
Raspberry Scotch Bonnet Hot Sauce
- 2 cups fresh raspberries crushed (frozen works too)
- 1 scotch bonnet pepper
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- Place a frying pan over medium heat and add the raspberries along with the chopped scotch bonnet pepper, apple cider vinegar, salt, and the balsamic vinegar.
- Simmer for 10 minutes until the raspberries begin dissolving.
- Add the sugar and water. Boil for an additional 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Use a sieve to strain out the seeds and allow the sauce to cool to room temperature.
- Serve or keep refrigerated and use within 3 days.